- Given the nature and speed of the German advance through northern Europe in May and June 1940 considerable effort was put into preventing the movement of tanks and armoured vehicles in the design of anti-invasion defences.
- One of the principal obstacles was a reinforced concrete block, of various shapes, but at Walberswick comprising a square. The blocks were placed in lines and were intended to prevent access to vehicles attempting to move inland, but also to vehicles moving up and down the beach.
- To the north of the Blyth, a line of cubes was placed to the front of the Emergency Coastal Defence Battery. A shorter section was to the south of the Blyth and was probably intended to block the route of any vehicles that were attempting to enter Walberswick from the harbour area.
- A 'Y' shaped pattern of blocks was also placed on the beach itself, again probably to prevent vehicular access to the village and also to inhibit movement southwards. A comparison between aerial photographs and the blocks that remain in the landscape today suggests that some of the latter have been moved from their original position. You can see the lines of cubes on the map in the 'Documents and Maps' Section
Anti-Tank Cubes now in a car park; the cubes formed a barrier to vehicles attempting to move inland.